Today, developer CD Projekt Red announced the codenames of five new games they currently have in the works. The announcement includes three new Witcher games, a new Cyberpunk title, and a brand new IP. The codenames of the five upcoming titles were revealed on the CD Projekt Red Twitter page with brief descriptions for each.
The game announcements came as part of CD Projekt Red Group’s recent long-term strategy update, outlining what can be expected from the studio in the future in terms of upcoming projects. The studio put together a video presentation for the strategy update, which you can watch below.
CD Projekt Red revealed earlier this year that the next installment to The Witcher series had entered pre-production and is being developed in Unreal Engine 5. Now it seems that title will be the first in a new Witcher game trilogy, codenamed Polaris. Aside from the trilogy, CDPR also announced two new Witcher games, both of which are being developed by external development teams.
The studio was vague on details, but they did provide a brief snippet of information for each codenamed title. Here is what we know so far.
- Orion: “Orion is a codename for our next Cyberpunk game, which will take the Cyberpunk franchise further and continue harnessing the potential of this dark future universe.” While the studio didn’t directly say this game is a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077, the game’s logo was used for today’s announcement.
- Polaris: “Polaris is a codename for the next installment in The Witcher series of games, which we recently announced was in pre-production. It is the beginning of a new saga: we aim to release two more Witcher games after Polaris, creating a new AAA RPG trilogy.”
- Canis Majoris: “Canis Majoris is a full-fledged Witcher game, separate to the new Witcher saga starting with Polaris. It will be developed by an external studio headed by experienced developers who have worked on past Witcher games.”
- Sirius: “Sirius is a codename for the game developed by The Molasses Flood, set in The Witcher universe and created with support from CDPR. It will differ from our past productions, offering multiplayer gameplay on top of a single-player experience including a campaign with quests and a story.” Sirius will feature both single-player and multiplayer gameplay, according to CD Projekt CEO, Adam Kiciński.
- Hadar: “Hadar is a codename for a third, entirely distinct IP, created from scratch within CDPR. The project is in the earliest stages of the creative process, which means we are not developing any game yet, but working exclusively on the foundation for this new setting.”
It is great to see that CDPR is working on new projects while also continuing to develop their flagship game franchises. We will be sure to update you here with details as they are announced, so stay tuned to Guide Stash for more information.