At long last, truckers who play Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator will no longer have to brave the open roads alone. Update 1.41 has arrived and with it comes the long-awaited Convoy multiplayer mode, which allows players of both games to drive alongside their friends in private sessions.
Join the Convoy Trailer
After copious tests and bug reports, developer SCS Software has finally unleashed the new Convoy multiplayer mode for ATS and ETS2. Convoy allows truckers in both games to set up and host their own private matches where they can hit the road alongside up to seven other friends, for a total of eight drivers. SCS intends to increase Convoy’s player limit in the future, but have chosen to keep it small “due to its work-in-progress nature.”
In Convoy, drivers can accept the same jobs and contracts as their friends and then travel to the same destination to complete the job together. Convoy mode also features synchronized AI traffic, time, and weather. Drivers can also communicate with one another using CB radio, quick replies, or text chat.
While Convoy mode brings plenty of exciting new features, it also comes with a few caveats. Below are some of the notable issues players can expect while playing in Convoy multiplayer mode.
- Mods in Convoy mode are not supported in the initial release.
- AI vehicles might disappear when a player disconnects.
- Lifting bridges are not synchronized. They will be stationary for the initial release of Convoy.
- Steam invites work only through the Steam overlay.
- CB radio broadcast (hotkey “X”) interferes with the text input line.